Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2 Bon Appetite!


Bon Appetite! As I started to think about my next post, I wanted to tell you a little about what has inspired me to do this crazy thing in the first place. My husband and I have been talking for months about what avenue I should take about sharing the Lord's goodness in my life. I have had many fears and doubts about starting this blog but in the end I made the decision to do it because I know that it will strengthen my relationship with the Lord and in return possibly give others a deeper connection that they have been longing for.

Last Friday, I went to the movies with a friend and saw Julie & Julia. Most of you have seen the previews already for it and it was truly a delightful film. I fell in love with the two characters and totally related with Amy Adams character, Julie. Basically, Julie's life was not what she intended it to be and she felt like she starts things and never finishes them. So, her husband encouraged her to start a blog about Julie Child's recipes. Every day for a whole year she blogged about a recipe she tried out from Julia's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. While cooking, Julie finds inspiration from Julia and she grows into herself in such a real, honest way.

That night, after seeing the movie, I got brave and wrote my first post. I still felt like it was crazy but I needed to do it. My "Julia" inspiration for this blog, is my favorite bible study teacher, Beth Moore. After college, I really got hooked on doing Beth Moore studies. What I love about her ministry is she really teaches you the Bible in a down to earth kind of way. When I say teach, I mean teach. During the lesson, my Bible is like a Huffy flying down a hill as I constantly flip the pages trying to keep up with how the Old Testament relates to the New. Then, she gives you homework during the week so you can have time to study and process the Word on your own. She is a southern gal living in Houston so she really cracks me up with some of her stories. This morning, while I was getting ready for work I had the television on The Church Channel. I knew Beth spoke on Wednesdays but I hadn't found the right time or channel so I honestly wasn't looking for her this morning. When I got out of the shower and started to put on my makeup, low and behold I heard a Southern twang coming through my tube! Instantly, I dropped my mascara wand and sure enough my favorite teacher was speaking to me this morning! What a great way for me to begin my morning by hearing her teach the word of God.

So, in closing I want to leave you with a verse that has given me guidance as I begin this journey. "So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building." - 1 Corinthians 3:7-9.

Till next time, let your light shine!

Blessings, christen

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Christen - I am so looking forward to reading your blog and following along. I really enjoyed your first 2 posts! I am happy that you found inspiration in the movie "Julie & Julia"...It was such a great movie and I can definitely relate to Julie Powell too. I'll leave you with my favorite Julia Child quote...it seems fitting: "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously at it!" :)

Unknown said...

Hey Christen! I'm looking forward to reading your blog! I actually go to Beth Moore's church in Houston! She spoke this weekend about a simulcast girls weekend that she'll be hosting at the end of the month. (Aug 28-29) Maybe there's a church in your area showing it?? It's called "Living Proof Live Simulcast with Beth Moore." Good luck with the blog.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails