Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hey friends,

Since Sunday was my mom's birthday, I decided to bake her a birthday cake!  This is my second birthday cake to make and I must say, it was easier than the first time.  To take away some of the stress, I broke up the process into three days.  The first day I made the frosting, second day baked the cake, and third day decorated the cake.  Below is the recipe, pictures, and a short video I put together on how to ice a cake.  Enjoy!

Cake: Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
(Make sure you just use the egg whites to make the cake light and fluffy!)

Buttercream Icing: Wilton's Recipe
(I made five batches of this and doubled the recipe to cut down on time)
1 tsp clear vanilla extract (Michael's and JoAnn's Fabric sells it)
1 tsp. butter extract
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. milk or water (I used water)
1 cup solid vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
1 lb. confectioners' sugar (1 box)

1. Sift the confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl.
2. Measure remaining ingredients into the same bowl.
3. Blend on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together.  Scrape bowl when necessary.
4. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy

To convert stiff icing to medium consistency, add one teaspoonful of milk or water to each cupful of stiff icing.  (I did this for my colored icing...I added about 3 teaspoons of water to my one batch to get my desired consistency).

Level the top of your cake to have a flat surface for your icing
Make sure to ice the cake on the stand that it will be served on

Birthday cake icing = YUM!

A work in progress

Ready to start decorating!


Mixing the colored icing is fun :)

Lu Lu was jealous that she had to stay outside and not be the crumb catcher!!!

Rough sketch...better to plan ahead before starting!


Finished product!  Can't wait to eat it :)

Here is a step by step video I put together to help explain the process.
How to Ice a Cake in Less than 10 Minutes!



Till next time, let your light shine!

Blessings, christen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails